Outing is the heart of Scouting…
Baden-Powell, the founder of the Scouting movement, once said: “A week of camp life is worth six months of theoretical teaching in the meeting room.” And national BSA surveys show that a Scout leader has a 300% better chance of retaining a Scout in the program if the boy attends summer camp during his first year. Camp provides a week of living the Scouting program!
The promise made to every youth when deciding to give Scouting a try and join a troop in the neighborhood is that of outdoor adventure. The imagination of an 11 year old runs rampant when it comes to the adventure of the out of doors.
Scout Activity Training Centers in Sri Lanka
Pedro and Mirigama Scout Reservation is one of the finest Scout Camps in the Sri Lanka. The camping and outdoor program is an exciting and essential element of the Boy Scouts of Sri lanka. Camping and outdoor program activities will deliver adventure, challenge, teamwork opportunities, confidence building, fun, and other new and exciting experiences. Camping and outdoor program activities will lead to self-reliance, self-confidence, and leadership, and will enhance the traditional aims of Scouting: citizenship, character development, and mental and physical fitness consistent with the Scout Oath and Scout Law. Safe and successful camping and outdoor activities will entice youth to become members of the Scouting organization and benefit from its values and character-building activities. All are designed to encourage character development, citizenship, and personal fitness based on the principles of the Scout Oath and Scout Law.
- PEDRO – PEDRO SCOUT TRAINING CENTER is located in the Nuwara Eliya District in a Beautiful Setting among hills and jungle. The Climate is cold above 25 o C Excellent for the hiking /Camping and Nature Activities. This wonderful Camp site is Available to outside parties too. 4th SAF Scout Friendship Camp 2006 held this camp site.
- Mirigama – LEE DASSANAYAKE SCOUT TRAINING CENTER Campsite Situated in a Part of Virgin jungle in a Beautiful Setting There are three cabin With Bunk and Sleeping facilities, kitchen dining room Etc.. this activity center is ideal for Nature studies and camping. this Camp site is Available to outside parties too.
- Pallekele – PALLEKELE SCOUT DEVELOPMENT CENTER is Situated in a is a suburb of the city of Kandy in Kandy District, Sri Lanka. Pallekele Gamudawa Site and Gamuda Ground now Convert to name of Hon, Chief Minister Sarath Ekanayake Ground. in 1998, 5th National Scout Jamboree held this camp site.
Urban Scouting Camp site in Sri Lanka
- Lake View Park International Scout Centre – (ලේක්විව්පාක් ජාත්යන්තර බාලදක්ෂ මූලස්ථානය) is a campsite, Scout Activity Centre, training and conference center for Scouting groups, which belongs to the 1st Kandy Dharmaraja Scout Group. This 57 acre site is located in Kandy, Sri Lanka.
Richmond Hill -In 1915 3rd Galle Richmond Scouts Troop was formed in addition to the 2nd Galle Richmond Troop. scout’s den made up of timber and cadjan was put up by Richmond Scouts on 11th December 1915 which received the greetings of Baden Powell. Richmond Club House which was put up in 1917 is the oldest club house in Sri Lanka.
- y-gro Campsite – This is close to a two hour drive, approximately 90 km away from Colombo. situated in the Kurunegala District in North Western Province of Srilanka. A camp site and conference facility in a 10 acre area within a Coconut Estate and agricultural crops providing a very scenic back drop to the site. A river runs along the side of the paddy fields and crops such as Pepper, Cinnamon makes it a tranquil rural setting making it a getaway place for relaxation. in 2014 Colombo Centenary International Scout Jamboree hold this Camp site.
- Riverside Camping Udawalawa – Udawalawe National Park is 11 km from the camping. The daily breakfast offers Full English/Irish and Asian options. Guests can grab a bite to eat in the on-site restaurant, which specialises in Asian cuisine.
- Yala Campsite – Big Game Camp Yala is 261 km from Colombo. Family tents are provided based on requirement. All tents are fitted with comfortable mattresses and pillows. Free drinking water will be provided. All bathrooms are equipped with a shower.
- Kitulgala Adventure Campsite – Kandy is 65 km from the accommodation, while Nuwara Eliya is 77 km from the Kumbuk Sevena Adventure Camp Site. The camping offers a sun terrace.If you would like to discover the area, cycling and fishing are possible in the surroundings and Kumbuk Sevena Adventure Camp can arrange a car rental service.
Wildlife Department /Forest Camp site in Sri Lanka
- Yala National Park Camping – Location: Thalgasmankada, Sri Lanka. The sensational Yala wildlife National Park promises unparallel thrill and excellent adventurous experience with a visual treat of scenic excellence in the exclusive Yala Safari Camping. It is indeed an extra ordinary experience to rise up to a place where for miles there is no soul visible except the caretakers. The spectacular terrains provide fascinating visuals through dense to scrub vegetation, rocky pools, spectacular ravines, fresh water lakes with snaking coastline along with sight on endemic mammals like Asian elephant, leopard, black bear, crocodiles, grey languor and many others. It’s a paradise for birdwatchers with the presence of paradise flycatchers, Ceylon Shamas etc.
- Udawalawe National Park Camping – Location: Monaragala, Sri Lanka. Spreading over an area of 31,000 hectares of land, Udawalawe National Park is famed for its huge elephant population marking to a figure of 600-700 in total. So catching a glimpse of elephants herds is not very unusual in this park. This also serves as a transit home where orphaned or injured elephants are kept for treatment and after few days again released in the park. Apart from elephants the park holds various other types of wild animals Monitor lizards, Sambar deer, Wild boar, Common Langurs, Jackals, Toddy cats and many others along with almost 183 species of birds.Along with visual treat of wild animals there also stretched greenery, bushy lands and the sight of the Ulgala peak visible from the western side of the park.
- Wilpattu National Park Camping – Location: Puttalam, Sri Lanka. Being the oldest as well as the largest National Park in Sri Lanka, WilPattu National Park attracts visitors especially for the magnificent collection of endangered wild animals like Sri Lankan Leopard, Sri Lankan Elephant and not to forget the fighter Sloth Bear. One of the rarest species is the sloth bear which is believed to be left only 1000 all over world are found enough in this park. The park has special fleets that operate between Colombo Wilpattu and other nearby cities to accommodate the visitors.
- Knuckles Mountain Range Camping – Location: close to Kandy, Sri Lanka. Based near Matale and Kandy districts of Sri Lanka, the Knuckles mountain range is famous for its beautiful scenic expedition and the salubrious and harmonious air that provides rejuvenation to the human soul in every way possible. Getting close to the exceptional beauty of Nature, one can truly seek a peace of mind here. Around 31 species of mammals, 20 species of amphibians and 130 species of birds are available here which makes the camping more interesting. The Mountain range also proves to be a great site for hiking and trekking which makes the place all the more popular. One can also meet up close with the inhabitants of the small quaint villages and get to know more about their lifestyle here.
- Minneriya & Kaudulla National Parks – Location: 182-197 KM away from Colombo, Sri Lanka. These two national parks in Sri Lanka are only a half hour drive from each other. Situated in the North Central Province, these parks are located near the ancient Minneriya and Kaudulla Tanks. The area has an abundance of scrubs and jungles with wetlands. Home to toque macaques, crocodiles, elephants and sambar deer, these two parks are rich in biodiversity. Though leopard and sloth bears are also sheltered in the area, it is hard to spot them.